Cogniac Colonel aka. John Olabode
I’m CogniacColonel a Lead 3D Artist here at OSnap Games. I specialize in Modeling, and Texturing. I create 3D assets for our projects.
I’ve been interested in Art for as long as I can remember spending many hours drawing and painting comic book characters. My introduction to video games began at Madrid Airport in Spain watching a kid play a hand-held version of Donkey Kong. Years later, I remember my brother purchasing an Atari 2600 with Missile Command. Thank you Nolan Bushnell and Ted Dabney for creating the console that got me started.
Born and raised in Toronto, I started my Post Secondary Education with a Design Foundation course before moving on to 3D Animation, and then eventually Game Design. When I’m not working on projects, I enjoy hanging out with family, watching movies, playing games and watching Manchester United matches as well as Leaf games.
Name 5 of your favourite games:
- Street Fighter (1987) This game set the standard for all fighting games that came after it. The six button layout revolutionized the genre while laying the ground work for all future fighting games like King of Fighters, Guilty Gear, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct and so on. It also spawned a solid franchise. Hadoken!
- Quake III Arena The Ultimate FPS back in the day. Competition was intense online. It was all about the “Rails only” battles to keep your fraggin’ skills sharp.
- Mortal Kombat. This was the game that brought us fatalities. I love this game because it was the first game to shock me. Digitized graphics where slowly becoming a big thing back then. Pit Fighter had them, but not as crisp as Mortal Kombat. The first time I saw Scorpion launch a spear and I heard him shout “Get Over Here” I was speechless, and immediately grabbed my throat.
- Killer Instinct. Another revolutionary fighting game this one bringing the ability to break combos in as a game mechanic. It also brought us the ability to do more than 3 hit combos without a super combo of some sort. As an artist, the visuals were inspiring to me. For it’s time, Killer Instinct is one of the most visually appealing games. Ultra Comboooooo, Supreme Victory!
- Command and Conquer Generals and Zero Hour expansion. Easily my favourite RTS game. Battles with friends or strangers on the EA servers were awesome. In-game option to record then send your friends your battles was a good feature. The States vs. China vs. The GLA (Global Liberation Army) made for some fun times.
Is there a specific moment or reason that lead you to wanting to build games?
Who is your favourite game character and why?
Favourite and most epic moment in your gaming history?