Overlawled aka. Ryan Luck
I’m Overlawled and I’m the Technical Director here at OSnap Games. The name comes from a previous job where my co-workers started calling me The Overlord which slowly turned into Overlawled. I’ve never been good with handles/nicknames and took a liking to it so it just stuck.
Professionally I’ve been a game developer for five and a half years, most of my time spent in either mobile or social game development.
I got my start in mobile back before smart phones and every phone had its own implementation of Java, it was a nightmare for developers. I enjoy making fun games, it’s all I want to do. If I enjoy playing a game we’ve made, and one other person enjoys it, we’ve done our job.
Name 5 of your favourite games:
- Diablo franchise is my top game. It’s what solidified my love of gaming and made me go from someone who played occasionally to someone who lived and breathed it. It also gave me my first taste of PVP. A younger Overlawled loved to go to the bounty boards of Diablo 2 and attempt to hunt down players with a price on their ear.
- NHL series is up here as well. I get suckered into buying it yearly, and play it fairly hardcore for the first little while. I love Be a Pro mode, mostly because I’ve always wanted to play hockey but never could.
- Battlefield, particularly Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3/4. The technology that went into real-time destruction was fascinating to me as an engineer, but also made the game way more exciting. No more hiding behind cover because it likely wouldn’t last long.
- Total War series is a relaxing game to play in my opinion. I like how slow it can be, and at times how fast as well. I’ve never actually finished one because they take so long to complete but the time spent playing them is always entertaining.
- The Hitman series and in particular Absolution. I love the openness of these games, especially in Absolution.
Is there a specific moment or reason that lead you to wanting to build games?
Who is your favourite game character and why?
What is your favourite weapon from any video game?
Favourite or most epic moment in your gaming history?